Tuesday, March 23

Try new things

One of the things that I've enjoyed the most about this experience is the opportunity Ive had to get involved with the other organizations and projects that people in Project CHANGE do.

Although I dont always like to admit it (and tend to argue with myself about it when asked by other people) I use my position in communications as a way to avoid social contact.  I am a writer. That is what I do and that is what I am good at. If I thought I were a good speaker I would have gone into broadcasting or lobbying. But through Americorps and my Project CHANGE program I have had the opportunity to throw myself into large groups of people that I didnt know and speak loudly and clearly about myself and topics relevant to the conversation. And what I found was that it wasn't that bad.

In Project CHANGE I am constantly surrounded by the opportunity to do different things I don't get to do as a communications associate. But what is really great about this arrangement is that I go and help my fellow Project CHANGE members at night and on the weekends but when Monday comes around I am back to doing what I've spent my whole life planning for. Writing. Its the perfect set up. and now I know that I can do these things. It's not scary. I am now able to do a variety of things and I'm better prepared for jobs... and life in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment