Wednesday, April 28

Shatterbox/Purpose Project

Last time I wrote I talked about how frusterated I was after watching the movie at our Americorps Meeting and how badly I wished I could be doing something. I want to go out and inspire change or help work to change.

Well today I received a link to a series of very inspiring videos. The web site is called Shatterbox.com and it was started about a year ago by a young woman who wanted to inspire... well people like me to do something they love and get involved. She is fulfilling this mission by asking people to post videos about their experiences working for an organization that they love. and then posting them on the Website. From the empty pages and apologies on some of the other pages its clear that the site as it exists currently is new or under a bit of construction. But it is clear that there are more things coming to shatterbox. There is a blog set up and entire community page filled with people who have posted videos and joined Shatterbox.

One of the people who joined organized something called the Purpose Project. His video describes this idea he had one day to put together the visions that all of the social change leaders had in the previous generations that are now reaching an age of retirement and use their stories to inspire the younger generations.

Its amazing to me how these stories can be so inspiring and motivational and at the same time so frusterating. Its refreshing, especially in light of so many things that I've realized about life and adulthood lately, that there are people out there who still want to inspire change. Not everyone is synical and willing to accept "how things are" or how people are. But how do I become like these people?

I guess this is a question I have been asking myself for a while now and its not a small question, I suppose, either.  Its just something that I want desperately.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, I love your words, for me personally, I love accepting people the way they are and often the way things are too, but also know that I am here to do my small part, and in my honest endeavour someone and something will improve(not change) for good.

    My favorite quote by Hellen Keller- "The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of tiny pushes of each honest worker."

    ReplyDelete